TikTok says it’s suing Trump Administration over efforts to ban service in the U.S.

/ / News

TIkTok said Monday that it is filing a complaint in federal court over the Trump Administration’s attempts to ban the service in the U.S. Earlier in August, President Donald Trump issued an executive order giving TikTok parent company ByteDance 90 days to divest itself of assets that support TikTok’s U.S. operations, citing national security concerns. TikTok argues that it has “taken extraordinary measures to protect the privacy and security of TikTok’s U.S. user data” by storing U.S. user data outside of China and “erecting software barriers that help ensure that TikTok stores its U.S. user data separately from the user data of other ByteDance products,” according to a blog post. The company also says in its blog post, which quotes elements of the complaint, that the Trump Administration’s executive order on TikTok “violates the due process protections of the Fifth Amendment” by giving the company “no notice or opportunity to be heard (whether before or after the fact).” Microsoft Corp. has expressed interest in potentially purchasing TikTok’s U.S. operations, which would help stave off the ban, while Oracle Corp. and Twitter Inc. are reportedly interested as well.
Market Pulse Stories are Rapid-fire, short news bursts on stocks and markets as they move. Visit MarketWatch.com for more information on this news.